Sorry for the ksnapshot coming in the view. But the image cannot be reproduced as this happens only when eclipse’s XML editor is started the first time. After that I get this:
P.S. – Ok, the issue is solved. by doing –
$ USE=”cairo” emerge -av =dev-java/swt-3.5.2
that is, by using older version of swt. This thread at Gentoo forum shows more information.
Yesterday I thought of opening the machine, and looking what resides inside. After reassembling the components back, the computer did not start. That was indeed a panic attack! But I did remember that I changed the order in which RAMs were put in their corresponding sockets. Reversing the order, solved the problem.
This was strange. RAM with 2GB had to be below the RAM with 1GB.
It is better to be logged in as a normal user rather than root, simply because it is safe. Sometimes I do get irratated of doing
su -c again and again, but, what I have realised is that it is my inefficieny in working that makes it irritating. Leaving a window to do previledged jobs is a better option.
So, most of the time I am working as a normal user. But when I start using root’s shell, I am devoid of all the settings, like that of vim, or some env variables, or shell settings, which I have set in /home/kc ‘run command’ files. To get rid of this problem I create symlinks ,to rc files lying in /home/kc, in /root. This indeed solves the problem.
But there exists a better solution ie to put all common settings in /etc configuration files rather than creating hard links.
They indeed play a good role in maintaining single source of information. So, if I have all my media files in /dev/sda3, then I can refer to them by creating [sym/hard]links to /dev/sda3 in any place I want.
Last night, first Ubuntu crashed. Then Gentoo’s display blew off. I did not find any reason for the former, but for the latter the problem was that after each time you update your xorg-server(which is done on emerge –sync or in my case, emerge-webrsync), you have to explicitly update x11-drivers. If you miss this, you will be thrown to a CLI with irritatingly large font size. Problem was also with installing nvidia-drivers as it was conflicting with nvidiafb which I built in the kernel(and which indeed is a wrong step). Had to reinstall Ubuntu, thanks to the CD from LFY, which took some 15 minutes. Once Ubuntu was installed, I fixed Gentoo by chrooting into it. With time, I am finding increasing use of chrooting. Awsome!
My network card is Broadcom 4313. It should have been supported by b43 driver in kernel. But it failed. After blacklisting it(b43), I went for broadcom-sta. Installing it made me unset CONFIG_SSB, CONFIG_80211(was something like this) and Broadcom support in kernel. Re-compiling and reinstalling and rebooting (kenel) detected the NIC and gave it the name eth1, as opposed to wlan0 in Ubuntu.
Right now, installing vlc which is around 230MB(dependencies included) with speed being 100KB/s.